In an effort to offer our students the most quickly accessible care, Brown has partnered with TimelyCare, a free teletherapy service which offers students remote counseling with mental health providers licensed throughout the country. This service is intended to supplement existing campus resources.
Brown students who are actively enrolled have free access to up to 12 teletherapy sessions per year and unlimited access to a library of wellness videos via TimelyCare, on their desktops or via an app. Telemental health services will be available to all Brown students throughout the full year, including the summer months.
Students can access services via the TimelyCare app 24/7 from any location, especially while living, studying, or traveling anywhere in the United States.
Register for TimelyCare:
- Visit Timelycare.com/brown
- Desktop users can enter their Brown email and click sign in to create an account.
- Mobile users Click “Get The App” on the left middle of the page.
- Download the app and register using your Brown University email address.
- Press “Get Care” to get started!
NOTE: If you are being asked to pay for a visit, please reach out to TimelyCare customer support at 833-4-TIMELY immediately.
Additional Mental Health Care Options
There have been no changes to previously offered in-person or crisis care provided by the university. TimelyCare represents an additional care option.
Note: students who are in a crisis can speak with a counselor on a first-come, first-served basis, no appointment needed, please call 401-863-3476.
In-Person Care on Campus
Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS) is Brown’s primary office providing in-person mental health counseling and virtual mental health care resources. CAPS offers a goal-focused and collaborative approach to mental health via a range of support and prevention services in an inclusive, compassionate, affirming, and socially just environment. CAPS is located at Brown’s Health and Wellness Center (450 Brook Street). Licensed social workers, mental health counselors, psychologists, and psychiatrists provide in-person or telehealth counseling and psychiatry services (medications may require a referral). Visit the Appointments page to view hours and learn more about available services.
To schedule an appointment, students should call CAPS at 401-863-3476 or walk in to speak with a scheduler.
Urgent Care for Students in Crisis
- CAPS is available on demand 24/7 and 365 days/year to support students experiencing a mental health crisis. During regular work hours, students may either call or walk into CAPS to be seen urgently. Overnights, weekends and holidays, call CAPS at 401-863-3476 (also listed on the back of your Brown ID) and follow the prompts to access the on-call counselor.
- If students are facing a life-threatening medical or mental health emergency on campus, call Brown EMS at 401-863-4111 or the Department of Public Safety (DPS) at 401-863-4111. Off campus, call 911 or 988 (the phone number for mental health emergencies).
- Visit our Crisis Services Page for more resources for students experiencing crisis.